The first fifteen. They're eight inches square, arranged "randomly" but mostly not sewn together yet. I'm using all the same yarns that I used for rippling — mostly Baby Cashmerino with other sport- and DK-weight yarns mixed in, chosen for color more than anything else. Most of the yarns are still from the stash, but I've spent a few bucks at Close Knit supplementing what I had with a few more-neutral colors — grays, olives, an aqua. I need some mustard, but otherwise, I'm happy. The mint green — it's okay. It works for me, in a weird way. It reminds me of that color they painted old garden tools, and shed doors. If I'd had my druthers I would've gone with gray, but it's a LOT of yarn. I had ten skeins of the mint but I'm pretty sure I'll only be able to finish the square-y top part with that, and I'll have to get more for the side part (all mint).
Kim's seriously got the fever. She's organizing the 'ghan Olympics, I think, with events for everyone: today, the Granny-Along. (There is also a companion Flickr group and I forgot I was a member of the Grannysquares group, and there is also this granny-along group. I know that a few people mentioned that they'd started some other groups, too — there is a lot of super-cool granny-squaring going on out there!) I'm a terrible and unreliable joiner, historically, but I'm going to join the -along, my very first -along. I like seeing how everyone interprets these classics in their own ways. The variations on theme are infinite. It's wonderful.
For anyone who has written and asked me questions about the 'ghans, please read backwards through the posts here on the blog — I've tracked my sources and progress as thoroughly as I am able to, and any answers I have are already here. I made a decision early on with this to crochet on top of all the ends as I made color changes. I don't tie knots, I don't weave anything in — I am just holding the ends of the previous yarn on top of the previous row and going right over for several inches, and then leaving about a half-inch sticking out the back. I suspect this is not a very hardy way to handle ends — that is, they will most likely start snaking out, eventually, or after washing (though this will be hand-washed when necessary). But, knowing myself as I do, if I had to stop and weave in all these ends this thing would never get done. It just wouldn't. So I'm going with this method and we'll see what happens. I actually have no idea if it's the best thing to do, you know, for the health of the 'ghan — but at this point, for me, if there is to be a 'ghan at all, it'll be a 'ghan with its ends tucked uncomplicatedly into its rows. So it's the right thing to do to ensure the mere existence of the 'ghan. There could be a better way I don't know about, so I'm not necessarily recommending it, mind you — I'm just saying, this is what I'm doing.
I do very much hope that approach meets with Bridget's approval. As ever.
Yeah. She's not buying it.